Re-Tek’s best in class re-use rates allows you to reduce the environmental impact of retiring company IT assets.
Re-Tek has led the industry in offering re-use as a secure, environmentally sustainable method of Asset Retirement.
Our expertise in re-furbishment means that we are able to extend the functional life of over 80% of all the assets we collect.
This has a big positive environmental impact and allows our customers to reduce the carbon footprint of their Asset Retirement process. The key factors that make re-use so important from an environmental perspective are:
- the majority of the resources utilised in the life of a piece of IT is in the manufacturing process, the longer the life of an asset can be prolonged, the smaller the average impact of that equipment on the environment.
- Assets are diverted from energy hungry recycling processes that can’t truly deliver zero landfill.
This also means that good quality, high spec assets are available to be sold on or re-deployed to various countries worldwide, charities and UK communities that are the target of the Government’s digital inclusion strategy.
Furthermore, Re-Tek are aware of the carbon cost associated with reverse logistical processes and extending the lifecycle of used ICT and consumer electronic items. Over the past few years, as we have processed more ICT items, we have invested significantly in micro-renewable energy sources. These sources provide our facility with 80% of the energy requirements in the following solution:
- Our heating and hot water is generated by a 60kw Biomass boiler using pellets generated from sustainable, purpose built forests
- Most of our electricity is generated from a 45kw solar panel array, and we export electricity back to the national grid when the facility is closed
- We have recently invested in LED lighting throughout our facility which is extremely energy efficient and consumes up to 90% less power
All of this equates to a combined reduction of around 100 tonnes of CO2 emissions per annum.
This means that we can extend the life of IT assets without expending more of the planet’s natural resources, increasing the environmental benefit of this re-use process.